Sunday, February 28, 2010

My answered Uncle's Prayer

On Friday, my uncle stop fighting his battle with cancer. He died from Colon cancer. It spread all over his body. His final days they said it spread to his brain. I just keep hearing him say that "he just wanted to die and why was he still suffering". I could not stop fighting my tears when I prayed with him to God asking to release him from his pain on Tuesday. By Wednesday, it was my mission that he be at a better location for his transition. I worked aimlessly to have him moved from that crazy DeWitt nursing home to Calvary. I last saw him on Wednesday night. I had planned to come on Thursday, but the snow just would not let me do it. He died on Friday morning. I was going to call him...I regret I did not. I just couldn't get up the nerve to tell him that the snow made it difficult to drive. His last call of his life was at 9:58am when he wished my Aunt Happy Birthday. He expired around 10:20 am.

Unfortunately, many minority men do not get themselves checked out. At the age of 35, they should have their prostate and colon checked. Many of their issues result from their diet. When I speak to men and ask about getting these check ups; They speak of their ancestors and how long they lived. I have to remind them most of the food ingredients for the food, during that time, is different from what is used today. In addition, During that time many prepared their own food, especially in the south. They killed the cow or pig or whatever, they seasoned it and cooked it. So if you know a male over 35 make sure you tell him to get himself checked out!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I found your blog, so many of us are afraid of the doctor and what news he or she may deliver. Then there are those that are walking around without healthcare. Early detection + education=saves lives.

    ReplyDelete